Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Emotional Atyachaar

Friends,
I am glad to be ending my writers block with a short story. Well, here is my first attempt on writing a short story from a picture. Hope that it is at least bearable and sensible to some extent :) Earlier, a coupla times, I have tried to write something from 3WW word prompts ... but writing from a picture is a first of its kind for me. Looking forward to receiving honest comments from you guys...

I have been inspired for this post from stories by ceedy and sameera who have participated in the Ascension Short Fiction Contest running at the Jason Evan’s blog. The story cannot be of more than 250 words and has to be inspired from the given picture. So here is my rather naive attempt at it; and of course I am not submitting this amateurish entry to the contest. Although, just couldn't resist the urge to post it here.

Update: - Thanks to all your motivation and inspiration ... I did submit my story to the contest. It is entry #98 in the contest :-)

The below picture is the prompt given by Jason Evan for the Ascension contest.



Emotional Atyachaar
by Hiren

"Don’t ... I said Do NOT. Dare you step on the escalator!!!" shouted Karla at the top of her voice.

"Why are you doing this to me? You very well know that I have to get to her in time ... she ain’t going to wait for me even a minute after 9:30." I tried to plead with her while hopping on to the escalator...

"You have to make a choice today ... its her or me this time ... either you get down from the escalator or you don’t see me again..." she shouted beating her previous decibels record and ensuring that all nearby eyes gave me obtrusive glances.

"arggghhhhh .... GOD save this world from the emotional blackmail power of girls ..." I mumbled beneath my breath as I reached the first floor and got off the escalator only to take an about turn to the flight of stairs going down...

"Okay miss drama queen, happy now??" I teased her after sauntering down to the mezzanine floor where she was standing with a triumphant smirk on her otherwise innocent face.

"Darling, you are such a sweet heart!!!" she said restoring back her innocent smile.

"Anything for you dear; so which stupid hindi movie are we going for?" I mocked her again whilst thinking about the aftermath of missing the last Metra train to my town... 40 dollars cab fare to AMC, 50 dollars to drop her home, 100 dollars to reach my home :-(

28 comments:

ceedy said...

Chalo maine kuch to accha kam kiya....are YOU taking note and giving me some points :)

Good one....I think you are almost "ready" to take the plunge and experience it in real time ;)

Sameera Ansari said...

Hey!Nice to know I inspired you :)

This was well written,for an "amateurish" attempt,your words not mine!Why don't you submit it?The story can be of any genre you know,and the writing is good,sachhi!

Keshi said...

WOW I dunno how some of u write such amazing short stories just like that!

This one made me smile Hiren :) Ur a gifted writer for sure...cos I could see a very real situation in this story...this happens to many guys.


**GOD save this world from the emotional blackmail power of girls

Girls do possess that power but the worse part is, its NATURAL to em lol!


All the best Hiren I hope u get through!

Keshi.

Keshi said...

btw that Biodata is also for INDIAN men :)

Keshi.

Serendipity… said...

A lil suspense, a lil humour...
Nice, Sweet one!!!!

Hiren said...

@ceedy -> thanks bud, i sure am taking note ... :) and whether i am ready to take the plunge or maybe i already took it ... would depend on the context you are talking about :)

Hiren said...

@sameera -> thanks for those kind and motivating words ... i think i might send it across to Jason .. will update the post once i do that.

Hiren said...

@keshi -> thanks mate for the inspiring words ... i know i dont deserve so much praise ... but thanks nevertheless :)

and thats a smart thing to blame nature !!! :)

If that biodata is open to Indian men too then I am the first one to fall for it ... i hope i would be given a look at least :)

Hiren said...

@manallii -> thank you ...

Lena said...

you should submit to the contest. thats really a good story :)

KP said...

nicely written:).

keep writing!!!

so whos the drama queen:)?

JR's Thumbprints said...

I left the following comment over at Jason's: "I'm trying to visualize their ages. His teasing her is authentic." Good luck with the contest!

Keshi said...

haha yes I blame it on NATURE!


Hiren I hope ur not one of those 'Indian' men who send Biodatas to find a partner? LOL!

Keshi.

Hiren said...

@Lena -> Thanks. I am glad that you liked the story. Well, finally, I did submit the story to the contest. Its entry #98.

Hiren said...

@KP -> bhai, naam toh story mein likha hai :)

Hiren said...

@JR -> Thanks JR. Will reply to your comment at Jason's blog.

Hiren said...

@Keshi -> You want me to send one to you? I can make one and send it across :)

KP said...

@hiren...not so fast buddy:)...I want the real name...i think this is inspired by real life event!

Keshi said...

awwww...no need to send me ur biodata...cos I know u already and ur a fantastic guy!

Keshi.

KP said...

hey man kaik to lakh? good writer should write smthin!!!

Mysterious Mia said...

hey that was a good one man...heheh.....i have no clue how u guys write short stories....

btw i liked it the metra took me back to chicago days hehehe

Hiren said...

@kp -> was away on vacation ... will write something soon and inspired from real life event :)

Hiren said...

@keshi -> :)

Hiren said...

@Mia -> I too do not have much clue about it .. just tried my hand for the first time :)

yep ... it was Chicago's metra station (Ogilvie in downtown) in my mind when i wrote this :)

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Good one hiren....infact escalator placed a decent role in girl's emotional atyachar..:D

Rahul said...

WOW! nicely written ..

Am adding you as a friend.. :)

Hiren said...

@Mahesh -> thanks dude !!! :)

Hiren said...

@Rahul -> thanks man ... both for the appreciating comment and for adding me as friend :)